Thursday, March 06, 2008

At The Bottom of the Barrel

So, I just heard back from Yale University. No dice.

Which leaves me very humbled. Three months ago, I was certain of my ability to do graduate work. I applied to six graduate programs, including some of the top programs in my field, confidant in my ability to be chosen as one of their candidates. I had a Masters degree from Oxford, good recommendations, a decent statement of purpose, and I was applying to schools where I thought I had a good fit with the faculty.

Now I am not sure why I was so confident. I only got into the two schools I considered my safety schools, and was denied funding at one of them, which hurts more than a reject, in some ways. Perhaps I chose the wrong road. I don't know what else I could have done, though. It goes without saying that you are never as good as you think you are, but it still hurts to be told it.

Ah well. All my hopes rely on one school, essentially.

Pray for me.

1 comment:

Travis & Heather said...

The rougher the road the greater the hero.

On the path of the hero there comes the point where darkness is all around and the hero doubts his path.
"Perhaps I should turn back or go another way." Yet it is the perseverance that separates the hero from masses that gives him the ability to do what they cannot.

Though it is hard the hero is not alone. Beside him walks a loving companion and though far away many friends, families, and brothers wish send their support from afar.

The road goes ever on and on...but we are not alone.

God Speed My Friend
Excelsior