Friday, May 11, 2007

Marriage in Old Nauvoo

Well, I am actually in Virginia as I write this. I intended to write a couple of posts concerning my ongoing thoughts on Samuel's wedding and experiencing Nauvoo, as well as moving from BYU, but that obviously did not happen. As my wife's faithful reader will note, I was sick for at least part of that time, and so was unable to really write anything. This may be mere excuses, and you, O Best Beloved, may be fairly crying at the screen at this time to stop hemming and hawing and actually get to the substance of my post. Ahh, but therein you have discovered my secret: my writing always has more fluff than crunch, at least for unimportant writings, such as this one. Not I that I mean to suggest, my beloved readers, that you or your regard are in ways unimportant to me. Nothing could be further from the truth—my concern for you is what keeps me writing. That and the enjoyment of writing. For example, I am currently attempting to see how long I can continue this introductory paragraph without actually saying anything. I am, I think, doing a decent job, not that I have any desire to praise myself. Well, I do have that desire, but hopefully no more than any man. Regardless of how much I wish to praise or not praise myself, I will proceed with the bulk of my post.

Part of my reason for hemming and hawing so much over the facts is that some of the emotions that I feel as I look back over the wedding and sealing are somewhat difficult to deal with. Not because they are sad, or even unhappy emotions. There is, however a bittersweet edge to my feelings. My brother was the closest man to me of any that ever I met. Only my wife and perhaps my parents can boast to know me better. Because of this marriages have been hard for the two of us. Samuel had difficulties dealing with Thora, and while I had no personal difficulties with Aleatha (I rather like her), still Samuel's and my relationship became strained particularly during the early part of their engagement. Things improved toward the end (we are too good of friends at the core for it not to), but it was difficult for a time. This was exacerbated by the fact that I was graduating and leaving, which of course, by now I have already done. It saddens me, but that is part of life. We move on. I intend to keep in touch with my brother now that we no longer live in the same city, and I expect that we will have many great and wonderful conversations. I just don't know how I am going to work gaming without my stalwart player. How can I play L5R? I don't even really know the rules. That is, of course, only a small concern in the larger world of my ongoing life, but Samuel and I have always had time together. I'm not sure we necessarily will any more, except at times and seasons as we grab it for ourselves. There may, however, be a positive externality to this point, since hopefully we make better use of the time given to us.

The marriage itself was very nice. Nauvoo is a beautiful temple. I actually I enjoyed Aleatha's endowment more than I did the actual sealing. There are a number of factors that led to this, I think. One, the Nauvoo temple sealing room, while beautiful, looked like every other sealing room I'd ever been in. It was a fine ceremony, and we want to wish Samuel and his new bride a hearty mahzel tov from all of us. The endowment rooms, however, were a wonderful thing. One moves from room to room in the fashion of a live endowment, and the walls have murals on them, once again, in the fashion of older temples. My wife and I were asked to serve as witnesses to the company, which was a very fun experience. The Nauvoo Temple, and the endowment therein, were the highlights of my trip to Nauvoo. The sealing was nice, but I was mostly a spectator (which is how it should be). Old Nauvoo was very interesting, but memories of our religion are not he same as living our religion right now. Some of my interactions with the Community of Christ reminded me of this point. They, like us, remember and mourn the lost of Joseph Smith. But those memories alone do no good in the grand eternal scheme of things. Only faith in Jesus Christ and membership in His Church brings salvation. A Temple in Nauvoo again. The thought of it makes me smile. As I was walking back up Parley Street, I saw it there up on the bluff. I turned to my wife, and said, "There is a finger in the mob's eye." Then I began to quote the Standard of Truth, from the Wentworth Letter. It seemed very appropriate. The Nauvoo Temple represents what the Church really is, how it is growing. It is more than just a memory of a dead prophet. It is the work of a living prophet. And without a living prophet, we are not the true Church of Jesus Christ.

Just some thoughts. Until next time:
Excelsior!

(I intended to post this days ago, but got caught up with moving into my new home. -ARS.)

4 comments:

Camilla said...

i enjoyed your ramblings.. I tend to ramble alot myself. I mostly am glad to know you are all safe and moved as Thora had not posted and then my Mom commented she was worried on suday since she didnt hear from her and of course like all women i started to worry something had happene to you all becuase we had no way of knowing. (that was a long run on sentance...) Can you have Thora call me? or give me a number to reach her at? I find I am desperate to talk to her and with no way to do that.

Frau Magister said...

I had forgotten all about Samuel's issues with Thora! Of course, if I understand right, most people who knew your dating history and were "on your side" had some resentment of Thora (sorry Thora, but I'm thinking of the famous lamb incident at Travis's kin). On the other hand, I think there must be something wrong if no one involved in the marriage of two people has had their feelings hurt, intentionally or unintentionally, at some point in the process.

I enjoyed your comments about the formerly known as RLDS. I have similar feelings about the current polygamists. They seem both metaphorically and literally stuck in time.

Don Fallick said...

I enjoyed your introduction. Are you planning to enter politics? If so, your amphigory is a bit too prolix for the masses, but otherwise makes no more sense than usual, and the style is much more interesting, if a bit reminiscent of Fielding. Have you considered a career as an Edwardian novelist?

Anonymous said...

[url=http://vioperdosas.net/][img]http://sapresodas.net/img-add/euro2.jpg[/img][/url]
[b]kaspersky internet security 2009 and mcafee siteadvisor, [url=http://vioperdosas.net/]windows software downloads[/url]
[url=http://vioperdosas.net/]cheap downloadable oem software[/url] top software downloads buy business software
cheap software store [url=http://sapresodas.net/]microsoft educational software[/url] buy it now software
[url=http://sapresodas.net/]ms office 2008 software[/url] software price comparisons
[url=http://vioperdosas.net/]kaspersky internet security 2009 key[/url] for software purchases
adobe photoshop cs4 adjustments panel size [url=http://sapresodas.net/]microsoft office professional software[/url][/b]