Tuesday, April 17, 2007

In the Beginning...



I realise my title for this post is cribbing somewhat, but I say, if you are going to crib, crib from the best. I started a 'blog long before my lovely wife did, but she has in the space of a few short weeks put me to an open shame. I don't know where my misgivings about writing a web log derive from. Maybe it is the idea that some how anything I write on this 'blog could be used against, if it were ever traced to me. I am going into scholarship, and the Academy is like a very nasty trade union: one must follow their rules and standards, and no working on the side. Even the above statement is a dangerous one if things got out. It may be that I am too wary, and I simply need to relax a little bit. Another difficulty may have been in knowing what to write. I wanted to put in something more than news. However, as expressed above, I didn't want to put any of the ideas related to my scholarship here. I have decided to chuck it all and write both news and other ideas, although not necessarily related specifically to my scholarship.




For one thing, I have been accepted to study at the University of Oxford, to read for a Master of Studies degree in Jewish Studies. If going to Oxford isn't worth writing about, I don't know what is (I realise that this is the same idea that drove the creation of my wife's 'blog. I don't care. I can write if I want to. Besides, there are generally two sides to every story). I am afraid I too much appreciate the honors of men to turn down an opportunity to attend at what is likely the most prestigious university in the English speaking world. You have to wear "the black robes of the false priesthood" to even take tests! You can see on the right here the robe that I need to wear when matriculating, taking tests, and eating in the presence of the Dons in my college, which I shall have to do periodically. The Masters robe is niftier than the American equivalent as well. It isn't as nice as the other one, but you can see a picture of it here one the left. The hood is made out of silk, which why the whole ensemble costs over 200 pounds sterling. I'll have to decide whether or not it is worth it to buy it, since I am getting my doctorate anyway. I intend to buy the hood regardless, but I haven't yet convince my wife.

Anyway, this 'blog is now officially started and opened, so one may expect periodic updates lest I be shown up entirely by my wife. I do not think that I shall be able to post as often as she, since I usually have less disposable time than she, but I shall endeavor to continue to write my thoughts about studying at Oxford and life after undergraduate work. Until next time, and to crib from another author, not near so great:

Excelsior!

4 comments:

Barbara said...

Just noticed the link from Thora's blog to here. We'll look forward to readying your thoughts about this English experience. I enjoyed seeing the robes.

Don Fallick said...

So, what do you have to do to get the purple robe with the octagonal mortarboard? It looks neat, I admit it! But $400 US just to EAT? (and take tests, etc.)

Veiltender said...

The one that I eat in only costs forty pounds sterling--no silk. It is the shorter one, called a graduate robe. Apparently they sell those used, so I am hoping to get it for around twenty pounds, which is fairly reasonable.

Don Fallick said...

So, will you get the purple with the octagonal hat, or is that reserved for doctorates? If I were contemplating a life of academe, I'd pay $400 for it! In fact, if I were Thora, I'd take a few textbooks with me, just so I could read 'em on a bench somewhere, to justify future comments about "when I was studying at Oxford..."